Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Church Bulletin


Ok everyone, I have been posting and unposting things on some of my blogs lately, but I think this is a nice safe post.  It is simply a thing I have been wondering as a person who is mostly a Protestant and worries about other people's salvation and sometimes thinks like a Catholic.  It actually has to do with the new testament section where the believers get called "A Royal Priesthood." So here is my question:  If all believers are priests, and I do think that is the idea, then who are the parishoners?  People can say that it means we are priests for each other, but I actually think people do not usually use the term "priest" that loosely in the Old or the New Testament.  David was told he could not be a priest because he killed people, and the whole book of Hebrews is about how qualified for priesthood Christ is.  So I think the concept of the "priesthood of the believer" is a big deal and a very exciting thing, but I also am wondering if it means that there could be another exciting role for people who haven't latched onto Christianity in the ways that make me not worry about them. Sometimes everything hinges on the "laypeople," of churches, and I am wondering if all the people who have signed up for church are getting trained to administer grace in more substantial ways than we realize for anyone in our world, including people who might be participating in God's kingdom more than we are allowed to believe after putting so much stock in official sinner's prayers for salvation. There seem to be a lot of verses that have to get ignored for people's mechanical systematic theology to take shape from a survey of the Bible, and I personally think that this Royal Priesthood idea is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment