Thursday, July 4, 2019

This is my best theory everyone

     Ok everyone, I mentioned the ten commandments in that other post, and 
I just want to say that several years ago, I noticed something about the phrasing of the commandments that I think is very interesting. People say sometimes that the commandment that says “honor your father and mother and you will live a long life,” or something like that, is the only commandment that has a promise.  But I actually have this other suspicion, which is that since the commandments are phrased like “You shall not steal,” and “you shall not lie,” then really they are all promises.  I think they might be an announcement of God’s promise that eventually his people will no longer sin and suffer.  Kind of like “someday, children, you will no longer covet.” Has anyone ever heard that before?  I really can’t believe that no one else would notice that.  And I think there could also be a Presbyterian interpretation that is even broader, which has to do with the word “eventually” or “someday” being a wrong word for me to say, and that the promise really is “You will not steal,” based on the total forgiveness provided by Christ, even in storyline format where the happy ending, or really the happy neverending, is the pre-destiny of the truly innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment