Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Favor

This blog post is just about something I am wondering.  Jesus told people to not favor people who dress in fine clothes. But recently I was helping out at a food place and some Muslim ladies dressed as princesses were in line. And I felt in my heart that it was okay to treat them kind of special based on their appearance. So here is the concept I wonder about.  If someone takes the trouble to dress like a princess, and other people don’t, then wouldn’t the wrong favoritism be more a matter of not recognizing the effort and specialness of the people who did something extra? Do you guys see what I am saying? I am saying if you really treat people the same, as Jesus said, then it would be right to acknowledge whatever greatness seems extra. And I think what I am saying is right, even though that command should not be compromised, even if it is taken literally, which might not even be the most extreme interpretation. Like you can say clothes have to do with anything in life we adorn ourselves with such as opportunities, associations, personalities, and even friends and family, which ultimately of course should not be seen as some kind of clothes or possessions.  But what I am saying is this concept is very deep and could be part of why sometimes justice seems easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment