Monday, March 9, 2020

Quantity, Quality, and Quarflety

Yesterday, when I was thinking of quarantines and the expressions of consideration for others that can happen in situations that involve disease and health and contagion, I had a philosophical breakthrough about something I have been trying to figure out for a while.  Basically, for about ten years, I have wondered if there is a third Qu word that would complete a trio with quality and quantity.  Those are two things that are often measured when assessing the worth of something, or just measuring some aspect of it, and I have been thinking that there could be a third thing, and trying to figure out what it is.  And I haven’t been able to figure it out at all. Quantity and quality. I mean that is it. The essence and composition of something, or the amount of it.  But I think I figured out what quarflety is, and it could have to do with external value of the thing in question. It would have to do with how it is regarded or valued, so it would be an exterior source’s assessment of it.  The word “value” could be used and is already used sometimes to describe how much people care about something, but sometimes it is used more like the word quality and refers to something more like an objective worth that is not connected to subjective appreciation.  But I think that subjective appreciation, value, or regard could be that third thing, called quarflety, that creates a trio of definition for something that could be understood to have quantity, quality, and quarflety.

No comments:

Post a Comment