Tuesday, June 18, 2024

 Ok here is the second blog post.  I hope I remember what I was going to say.  Ok, I remember it.  It is about how a PhD student teacher in a theology course pointed out that an expression of God’s offer of salvation in the way I worded it one time was incomplete.  I think the way I said it was Methodist and not Presbyterian.  I basically said that Jesus died for anyone.  And I have been taught to finish that sentence and say anyone who believes.  But I felt that when you present to an outside audience, you leave no doubt that they can be included.  You don’t say anyone and maybe you.  You say anyone, so they know of course it can mean them if they choose.  But this teacher hinted to me that I left out some information, and I think I see how the offer of what people would want might be more appealing if you include the exclusive nature of it.  In other words, if you describe both the open door to heaven and the closed door once it is “full.”  Like our enemies won’t be there, and isn’t that half of the blessing.  It is.  No matter how much people criticize the frozen chosen, in our hearts, people want both the open and closed door, the welcome and the safety, the membership and not a lost crowd with no boundaries.  Maybe that is part of what God is teaching everyone in the world now, which sadly happens to be the same stuff he already told us.

No comments:

Post a Comment